top of page

Required Training If Your Business Serves Alcohol

If you're a bar / restaurant in California and serve alcohol, this one's for you.....

California passed a new law, requiring training for anyone who serves or manages a restaurant/bar that serves alcohol. Certification for your existing staff was to have already taken place by August 31. New employees are to be certified within 60 days of employment. If you have not yet provided the training, it's not too late: you can still comply.

Assembly Bill 1221 (2017) created the Responsible Beverage Service Training Program Act with the intention of reducing alcohol-related harm to local communities. The bill required the Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control to create the Responsible Beverage Service Training Program (RBSTP) to ensure on-premises servers of alcoholic beverages and their managers are educated on the dangers of serving alcohol to minors and over-serving patrons.

Approximately 56,000 ABC licensees have on-premises alcohol sales privileges, which means alcohol can be consumed on site. On-premises locations include, but are not limited to, bars, restaurants, tasting rooms, clubs, stadiums, movie theaters, hotels, and caterers (see full list).

To meet the new training requirement, any on-premises alcohol server or manager must register in the RBS Portal, take training from an authorized RBS Training Provider, and pass the ABC Alcohol Server Certification exam within 30 days of completing the training. Servers and managers must be certified by August 31, 2022, or within 60 days of their first date of employment.

Here's a link to the ABC website if you want more info: ------------------------------------------------------------------------

The GGRA offers a training program. But you can also google and will find numerous organizations providing the service.

Hope this helps.

14 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page